Why is speak unique?
Omega-3 is found in many forms and combinations including high EFA, high EPA, and omega-3,6,9.
While these may be beneficial for the general population, they do not contain additional nutrients in doses and ratios specifically developed for the unique population of children with special nutritional requirements.
The higher amounts of the two forms of vitamin E contained in speak are critical antioxidants working alongside omega-3 to support neurological health and provide essential nutrition.
In addition, K1 and K2 (natural blood coagulants) are included in the formulation for nutrient balance due to the theoretical blood thinning effects of omega-3 and vitamin E.† Each concentrated serving contains 725 mg EPA, 275 mg DHA omega-3s, 500 IU d-alpha tocopherol, 200 mg gamma tocopherol (vitamin E), 2.3 mg vitamin K (K1 and K2), and 60 mg GLA.
The proprietary speak formulation includes 7 nutrients in doses and ratios designed for children with special nutritional requirements. This precise combination of highly concentrated ingredients is conveniently offered in softgel capsules, twist off capsules which allow the oil to be squirted directly into a child’s mouth or easily mixed with foods or liquids, or pure oil which can be poured directly from the bottle.†
What about purity?
We partner with the world’s most esteemed producers of omega-3 fish oil for the speak formulation.
The oil used is cold extracted, highly refined, ultra-purified and molecularly distilled. Lab results are confirmed by third party tests.
The omega-3 used meets or exceeds U.S. and European standards for purity, complies with California Prop 65, and meets and exceeds the GOED (Global Organization for EPA and DHA) monograph.
NourishLife is NSF certified for GMP NSF International’s GMP Registration Program enables manufacturers to become independently registered by NSF to meet GMP requirements.
Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) are guidelines that provide a system of processes, procedures and documentation to assure a product has the identity, strength, composition, quality and that appear on its label.
Parents were looking for nutritional support for their children with special nutritional needs
Parents began supplementing their children with purified essential omega-3 fatty acids. These parents were able to exchange information via the internet, support each other, and share their successes. Their tenacious spirits and positive experiences illuminated useful information that contributed to further research.
A noted pediatrician became involved
Knowing the benefits of omega-3 fats, a noted pediatrician directed her investigative skills to go further. As a result of her work and discoveries, she developed the precise formula that led to the patent-pending formulation, now available as speak®.
The speak® formulation was exclusively licensed to NourishLife from Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland (CHRCO).
After the formulation was developed and pending patent, NourishLife researched and identified the purest ingredients in their appropriate forms for optimal absorption and utilization. Because this supplement was created for children, many with sensory and allergy issues, the ingredients had to be of the highest quality.
Knowing that parents were struggling to find and combine the 7 different nutrients included in the speak® formulation, NourishLife simplified the process by combining all into one easy to use supplement. NourishLife speak® is the only product of its kind.
NourishLife speak® contains highly purified and concentrated nutrients. The omega-3 contained in speak® is sourced from wild caught, sustainable, exceptionally pure omega-3 concentrates. Utilizing the utmost care and precision in manufacturing and analyzing omega-3 concentrates, the omega-3 meets or exceeds all US and EU standards for purity, complies with California Prop 65, and meets and exceeds the GOED Monograph (Global Organization for EPA and DHA Omega-3). This ensures that the speak® formulation contains the purest grade oils with a precise ratio of EPA and DHA.
speak does not contain:
Ultra-purified and Concentrated
- Heavy Metals
- Saturated fats
- Artificial flavors
- Artificial colors
- Artificial sweeteners
- Mystery "filler" ingredients
What are Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
- We know the source: Our principal supplier can certify when and where the fish is caught. The approved fishery has been certified sustainable by the Marine Stewardship Council since 2005 (and recertified in 2010). The processing plant is built specifically for fish oil production, and it is thoroughly sanitized and fully automated with a computerized control center.
- Time and temperature matter: High-grade fish oil cannot be heated above 180 degrees C because trans fats and impurities begin to form and the omega-3 fats can be altered. High-grade fish oil should not be exposed to heat for more than a few seconds. To maintain exceptional product integrity, we use a very low pressure vacuum and temperatures below 100 degrees for less than one second.
- Our product is highly concentrated: Our fish oil is moleculary distilled and refined to a high concentration of EPA and DHA omega-3s, making our oil a potent source of 1000 mgs per serving of these healthy, essential fats required for human health. Finally, d-alpha and gamma tocopherol (vitamin E) antioxidants are added. Our fish oil is held in an oxygen-free environment during the entire process. Our fish oil is then packaged and sealed immediately, ensuring its freshness and potency. Our product is guaranteed to be top-quality, delivering all the benefits of omega-3 in an effective, convenient capsule, Pure Oil, or emulsion.
Omega-3 fats are unique and essential dietary fats. They are not made in the body and must be consumed through diet and supplements. EPA and DHA are the omega-3 fats found in fish and fish oil and are considered the most functional omega-3 fats. While some consider omega-3 fats to be a vitamin because they are required in the diet, they are not formally recognized as vitamins. Instead, they are called essential dietary fats.
EPA and DHA work individually and together to support neurological function and improve cellular activity. Both EPA and DHA work in cell membranes. Healthy cellular metabolism is central (i.e. critical) for normal functioning of all biological (i.e. human) pathways. Specifically, EPA resides in cell membranes and supports healthy cellular metabolism. There is no dietary substitute for DHA. DHA is required for normal and healthy brain and nerve development and maintenance.†
What is vitamin E?
Vitamin E is a family of fat-soluble vitamins that work in the body primarily as antioxidants. They are considered valuable and important vitamins for this reason. The richest food sources of vitamin E are nuts and oils.
While 8 forms of vitamin E exist in various amounts in foods (4 forms of tocopherols and 4 forms of tocotrienols), nearly all of the research in humans has focused on the d-alpha tocopherol form. It exists in the body in the greatest amount. More recently, we have learned about the importance of gamma-tocopherol and the importance of balance between these 2 forms of vitamin E.†
About d-alpha tocopherol:
- It is transported and stored in blood and tissues and this is where it works as an antioxidant.
- As an antioxidant it protects body tissues (cells) from damage that occurs as a result of normal metabolism. Our bodies, as living organs, are constantly in a state of flux and d-alpha tocopherol is simply a part of the machinery designed to maintain health and normal regeneration of cells. Said another way, d-alpha tocopherol protects cells from oxidation.
- As an antioxidant, it works to prevent oxidation of other fats, such as fish oil, and thereby supports cellular health.
- It also works to maintain healthy blood vessels.
- It is measured in International Units (IU) and is the form of vitamin E included in the Dietary Reference Intake.
- It is available in natural (d-alpha) or synthetic (d,l-alpha) forms.†
Why are both d-alpha and gamma-tocopherols in speak?
- Like d-alpha tocopherol, it works as an antioxidant but gamma-tocopherol is structurally different from d-alpha and works in different pathways in the body.
- Supplementing with d-alpha tocopherol increases the need for gamma-tocopherol and supplementing with both improves the function of both.
- It is measured in milligram (mg) units.†
speak® has been carefully formulated to provide an optimal amount of both d-alpha and gamma tocopherols that are important for individuals with certain nutritional needs. Although the reasons are unclear today, emerging yet inconclusive research indicates that some individuals may have an increased need for both of these antioxidants. Further, d-alpha and gamma tocopherols may improve the actions of omega-3 fats and act as potent antioxidants. speak® contains the natural forms of d-alpha and gamma tocopherol.†
In summary: d-alpha and gamma work together as key antioxidants and along with omega-3 fats support neurological health and provide essential nutrition.†
What is vitamin K?
Vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin with various functions in the body. In the past 10 years, we’ve learned that vitamin K has roles in maintaining heart and bone health, as well as being a critical component for normal and healthy blood clotting. There are 3 forms of vitamin K, but only K1 and K2 are consumed by humans as vitamins. They both have unique and important functions.†
Why is vitamin K in speak?
Vitamin K1 and vitamin K2 are included in speak® primarily to maintain nutrient balance. This is particularly important with long-term supplementation. It is important to support a proper balance between vitamins E and K. speak® contains the natural forms of vitamins K1 and K2.†
What is GLA?
GLA (gamma linolenic acid) is an omega-6 fatty acid derived from borage oil, and it works to support the EPA and DHA found in omega-3 fish oil. Speak contains 60 mg/serving of GLA.†
I'm interested in new speak® + vitamin D. How does this differ from the original formulation?
Vitamin D, known as the sunshine vitamin due to the fact that our skin cells can use sunlight to synthesize vitamin D, is an essential vitamin that may be lacking in some individuals due to their diet or their inaccessibility to sunlight especially in Northern winter climates. Much research has been published on the benefits of vitamin D and child development. The speak®+d formulation supplies 400 IU of vitamin D per serving offering a greater number of nutrients in a concentrated serving. Parents who are watchful of their children reaching the RDA of vitamin D due to geographical, personal, or seasonal reasons enjoy the additional supplementation and convenience of speak+d. †
Some basics on the speak product:
2 capsules, 3 mL of oil, or 1 Tbsp of speak® Smooth, providing 7 concentrated and purified nutrients, for ease and convenience.
Based on results from tasting panels, orange was selected for the speak® Smooth and twists, and lemon was selected for the Pure Oil. The capsules are unflavored.
Amount of flavor:
We avoided over-flavoring speak® so that it can be easily blended into foods, such as yogurts, pudding, etc. We wanted enough flavor to give a pleasant but mild taste.
We use the highest quality ingredients to keep speak® pure and hypo-allergenic.<
speak® costs significantly less than purchasing the ingredients individually.
speak® contains increased amounts of vitamin E to provide important antioxidant support and protection for growing nerve and brain cells. Among other things, the vitamin E enables the essential omega-3 and 6 fats to work better by protecting against oxidation. Almost all fish oil products contain a small amount of vitamin E as a natural preservative which provides virtually no physiological benefits. The higher amount of vitamin E found in speak® addresses the nutritional needs of certain individuals and is an important component of the unique speak® formulation.†